Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #9 Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #10 Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #11 Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #12 Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #13 Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #14 Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #15 Birnbeck Image Slider Photo #16

Pier View

The building presently known as Pier View was constructed as 'The Birnbeck' refreshment room in 1912, the following image dates from 1913. Prior to this, a smaller refreshment kiosk had stood on the exact same spot. Originally, and for a large part of its history, there was only an internal staircase to access the upper floor. Because of its shape, the upper structure became known as "the bird-cage".

Pier View 1913

© The Francis Frith Collection

The earlier refreshment kiosk, in 1895...

Refreshment Kiosk 1895

© Weston-super-Mare Library

...and in 1898.

Refreshment Kiosk 1898

© Phil Johnson Collection

As it was in 1906.

Refreshment Kiosk 1906

© Phil Johnson Collection

Pier View as first constructed in 1912.

Pier View 1912

© Phil Johnson Collection (Postcard)

And shortly thereafter, again in 1913. Notable is the fact that the present columns which support the overhanging northern part of the upper storey are not present. These were a much later addition. Also, the double doors that now exist beneath this overhang were not original - there was a window here instead when the building was constructed.

Pier View 1913 02

© Unknown

Next - the Birnbeck North Jetty

Return to the Media page

Return to the Home page