The Pier View Retail Outlet
The small retail outlet next to Pier View was built after a storm destroyed the previous building there in 1903. Originally it sold souvenirs such as art pottery, shells, china and other fancy goods. It stands adjacent to the original 'Toll Lodge' - itself a Grade II listed building.
This image dates from 1906.
© Phil Johnson Collection (enlarged and cropped from a postcard)
The following recent images show the facade of the buildings, following redecoration of the outside of the retail outlet and the replacement of the temporary window boarding by the BRT's volunteer team to protect it from the elements.
All recent images by Mike Davies Photography - © 2016
The Trust would like, at some point in the future, to reopen this building as a high-class food outlet which will sell locally sourced sausages and burgers in rolls and baps, all to be enhanced with the finest of condiments. All profits will thereafter go directly towards helping the Trust deliver its main aim of saving Birnbeck Pier.
It has been proposed that this should be named 'Colonel Charlie's'.
Unlike all the other buildings in the immediate proximity to the entrance to the pier, the ownership of the retail outlet lies in the hands of North Somerset Council (NSC), along with a small pavement/yard area and the steps leading up to the promenade on the west side of Pier View.
Following discussions with NSC's Corporate Services Directorate, the Trust's Trustees, some of whom are Council members, have agreed to take a lease on the building and its appendages for a period of 99 years.
Details of these leasing arrangements can be read on NSC's website here.
This is the continuation of the journey we are on to save Birnbeck. We are nearing the completion of preserving the outside of Pier View, we hope to soon start work on the coastal path and in the New Year reopen this building, all down to the efforts of our amazing volunteer force.